Tattoos are more than just a trend. They are a way of life. Some are simply addicted to getting fresh ink that covers every section of their skin.
After getting a tattoo, most people want to go out and show them off as soon as possible. But if they don’t allow the skin to heal, they may end up with an infection. So, exactly how long does the healing process take? Read on to find out.
Will My Tattoo Artist Provide Me with Aftercare Instructions?
Unfortunately, not all tattoo artists will give you aftercare instructions for your tattoo. In fact, some states have no regulations at all regarding tattoo artists and licensing.
Seven states have no regulations on tattoos and six states license tattoo artists but don’t require them to provide aftercare instructions.
Thirty states license tattoo artists and require them to provide aftercare instructions, but only seven states require artists to provide customers with aftercare instructions mandated by the public health department.
That’s why it’s so important for you to know how to care for your tattoo yourself.
How Long Will It Take for My Tattoo to Heal?
Tattoos typically take 2 to 4 weeks to heal. But they won’t heal properly if you don’t follow the proper aftercare techniques. Here’s what you want to do.
· After the tattoo is completed, the artist should cover it with petroleum jelly and a bandage.
· Remove the bandage after 24 hours and gently wash the tattoo with antimicrobial soap and water. Pat dry.
· Wash the tattooed area twice a day and follow up by applying an antibacterial ointment. Leave the bandage off. This process should be repeated every day for 2 to 4 weeks.
Here are some other tips that will keep your tattoo free from infection and looking great.
· Avoid wearing clothing that will stick to the tattoo.
· Take cool showers. Hot water will make the area burn and may fade the tattoo’s ink.
· Avoid the sun. Keep the tattoo protected by wearing sunscreen with at least 7% zinc oxide during the day and/or wear loose clothing or a bandage over the area.
· Avoid going swimming.
· The tattoo may develop hard layers. This is perfectly normal. Just don’t scratch, peel or pick the scab.
What Type of Ointment Should I Put on My Tattoo?
After you get a tattoo, it’s necessary to keep it clean and moisturized. The right tattoo salve will keep it free of infection and look terrific. Ora’s Amazing Herbal Tattoo Salve is highly recommended.
The Ora’s Amazing Herbal brand is known for producing herbal salves, powders, and lip balms that are free of synthetic ingredients. Their Amazing Herbal is designed to soothe and nourish skin and provide relief from itching and redness. It is gluten-free, GMO-free, and it does not contain any parabens or synthetic fragrance.
A tattoo means a lot. The right aftercare will keep yours looking vibrant while ensuring your skin remains infection-free. What aftercare tips do you have to share?