Black mold in your shower is unsightly and dirty. It can also be a hazard to health, because it releases spores into the air which when inhaled can cause a range of unpleasant symptoms and health concerns. People who have allergies and sensitivities to mold, asthma sufferers, young children and the elderly can develop respiratory problems and headaches from breathing in black mold spores.
Black mold is a type of mold called Stachybotrys and is particularly toxic, but any mold comes with problems so is something that should definitely be avoided. Because the shower is a damp environment, it can become a breeding ground for mold if you are not careful.
So how to remove black mold in shower is an important part of your home cleaning regime that you cannot afford to overlook.
Luckily, how to remove black mold in shower is very easy and can be carried out with simple household products.
- You can remove black mold with bleach. Simply mix 1 part bleach with 2 parts water and apply via a spray bottle.
- Leave the mixture in place for 10 minutes and then rinse off. You can work on any stubborn stains with an old toothbrush using the same bleach/ water mixture.
- If you don’t want to use bleach, try using white vinegar in exactly the same way. White vinegar is very effective against mold and provides a better smelling alternative.
- Many people find that how to remove black mold from shower is best achieved with baking powder. To do this you mix the powder with water to make a paste and paint it onto the affected area before using a brush to scrub it off.
- Prevention is always better than a cure so ensuring that your bathroom stays ventilated will help prevent the mold from forming. Always stay on top of any small areas of mold developing and remember to regularly clean bathroom mats and coverings which can become a breeding ground for germs and mold.
If you or your family members struggle with household allergies, a supplement may help minimise symptoms. BioAllers Mold, Yeast and Dust is a homoeopathic supplement by the BioAllers brand that helps protect you from black mold spores and other household allergens. It reduces common symptoms such as headaches, sneezing and blocked sinuses and helps your body cope with everyday airborne irritants that can adversely affect your health.